Zen: (noun) A Japanese school of Mahayana Buddhism emphasizing the value of meditation and intuition.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I Am So Glad God Gave Me Boys


When God was doling out kids to me, He knew exactly what He was doing (duh).  He gave me girls when I could handle girls and when my patience was wearing thin...he gave me boys.  I was 20 when my niece was born and 21 when my daughter came into my life.  I was 30 when the boys began to arrive.  As usual, He has perfect timing.

Each of my twins has a lovely girlfriend.  I have been blessed to go shopping for both prom dresses and, last evening, prom shoes. We had a great time and found the perfect shoes for each of them to wear with their dresses.  It was fun.  No really...it was fun because it was a limited amount of time with a specific mission in mind.  Otherwise, I would have been a raving lunatic someone stick a fork in my eye by the end of the evening.  As it was I had blisters on my feet because I forgot that when you shop with girls, you do a lot of mall walking.  I was wearing work shoes, not my shopping with girls shoes.

And it's not just these particular girls.  On the shopping scale, these young ladies are easy.  Either that or I'm really transparent and they could tell when I'd had enough.  Now my granddaughters!  They are in a different league all together.  As far as I'm concerned, my daughter should be nominated for saint hood just because she shops with them and doesn't kill them.  My oldest grand-daughter is a little, um, indecisive.  She likes to look at EVERYTHING before making a decision.  And she likes to do it in EVERY STORE before making a decision.  And then she still won't make a decision!  But we've seen every single article of clothing, shoe and accessory in the entire mall and we've been there roughly 43 1/2 days before she's finally ready to leave..without (and this is the part that makes me want to hurl myself from the top of the nearest escalator) purchasing one, single, solitary item.

Come to think of it, most young girls I know are this way.

Which is why I prefer shopping with my boys.  It's just so much easier.  First, they actually like to shop (for themselves) and they will wait patiently for me while I look for something (as long as I don't take too long).  Secondly, there is no drama, no giggling, no whining.  There is, however, conversation, gross jokes and some burping (which we rate on a scale from 1-10).  There is also the method with which we shop.  Namely, we go in, we find what we need, we purchase it.  No muss, no fuss.  Oh...and there is compromise.  I'll stand around while they look at the cars parked inside the mall or try out the latest Apple product, if they'll stand around while I look at the shoes in Nordstrom.

They've trained me well.

I just overall find men easier to deal with in almost any situation.  They are like dogs.  They live in the moment and then they MOVE THE HELL ON.  Women, on the other hand, live in many different moments, dimensions and emotions all at the same time.  If you're not used to it, it can really be exhausting...even if you're one of them.  And especially if you're shopping.

Namaste

1 comment:

  1. i was warming up to your blog until this post. now you just sound like Maggie T. Have fun hanging with the men.

    ReplyDelete